Cavitation modelling for steady and unsteady CFD simulations
Experimental and numerical optimization of passive cavitation controllers
Cavitation in hydraulic is an important phenomenon to be considered for performance predictions. Correct analysis of the cavitation onset and development and its effect on the flow field while diminishing the pressure level need to be investigated. Particular attention is given to the coupling between cavitation and turbulence models as well as on the underlying numerical procedure. The performance of the proposed models will be initially assessed on simple cases in steady case. In a second step results for different applications will be presented with pitching foils. The final purpose of the project will be to design a passive controller on the hydrofoils able to decrease and control the size of the cavitating bubble around the hydrofoil and the lift oscillatione related to the shear cavitation. For the purpose, appendages, and vortex generator will be considered. The size, the height and the location will be considered to optimize the compromise between cavitation and lift reduction. The results will be compared with the experimental date on steady and pitchig hydrofoils.
Attracting Lagrangian Coherent Structures ALCSs
Repelling Lagrangian Coherent Structures RLCSc
Facility – Cavitation Facility
- Tingyun Yin, Giorgio Pavesi, and Shouqi Yuan. Influences of bio-inspired leading-edge tubercle on cloud cavitation around NACA 0009 hydrofoil. The 15th European Turbomachinery Conference (ETC15) Turbomachinery, Fluid Dynamics and Thermodynamics, 24-28 April 2023, Budapest, Hungary
- Tingyun Yin, Giorgio Pavesi, and Shouqi Yuan (2023)Revisiting RANS prediction of transitional flow on T3A flat plate subject to various freestream turbulences. Computers & Fluids, 30 March 2023, 254: 105810, DOI: 10.1016/j.compfluid.2023.105810
- Tingyun Yin, Giorgio Pavesi, Ji Pei, and Shouqi Yuan (2022)Numerical investigation on the inhibition mechanisms of unsteady cavitating flow around stepped hydrofoils. Ocean Engineering, 1 December 2022, 265: 112540, DOI: 10.1016/j.oceaneng.2022.112540
- Tingyun Yin, Giorgio Pavesi, Ji Pei, Shouqi Yuan, and Xingcheng Gan. (2022) Large eddy simulation investigation of cloud cavitation and wake vortex cavitation around a trailing-truncated hydrofoil. Journal of Hydrodynamics, 14 November 2022, 34(5): 893-903, DOI: 10.1007/s42241-022-0073-9
- Tingyun Yin, and Giorgio Pavesi (2022) Dynamic responses of pitching hydrofoil in laminar-turbulent transition regime. Journal of Fluids and Structures, May 2022, 111: 103544, DOI: 10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2022.103544
- Tingyun Yin, Giorgio Pavesi, Giovanna Cavazzini, Ji Pei, and Shouqi Yuan (2021) Numerical investigations of laminar-turbulent transition on two hydrofoils using OpenFOAM. The 16th Asian International Conference on Fluid Machinery (ICFM16), 13-15 September 2021, Yokohama, Japan.
- Tingyun Yin, Giorgio Pavesi, Ji Pei, and Shouqi Yuan (2021)Numerical analysis of unsteady cloud cavitating flow around a 3D Clark-Y hydrofoil considering end-wall effects. Ocean Engineering, 1 January 2021, 219: 108369, DOI: 10.1016/j.oceaneng.2020.108369
- Tingyun Yin, Giorgio Pavesi, Ji Pei, Shouqi Yuan, Giovanna Cavazzini, Guido Ardizzon (2021) Lagrangian Analysis of Unsteady Partial Cavitating Flow Around a Three-Dimensional Hydrofoil, Journal of Fluids Engineering 143(4 – April), p. 1-11, doi:10.1115/1.4049242
- Tingyun Yin, Giorgio Pavesi, Ji Pei, Shouqi Yuan (2021) Numerical investigation of unsteady cavitation around a twisted hydrofoil, International Journal of Multiphase Flow 135, p. 103506, Elsevier Ltd, url, doi:10.1016/j.ijmultiphaseflow.2020.103506
- Tingyun Yin, Giorgio Pavesi, Giovanna Cavazzini, Ji Pei, and Shouqi Yuan. Numerical investigation of unsteady cavitating flow around 3D hydrofoils[C]. SHF/AFM Conference on Hydraulic Machines and Cavitation At: School of Engineering of the HES-SO Valais-Wallis in Sion (Valais), 6-7 November 2019, Sion, Swiss
- Tingyun Yin, Giorgio Pavesi, Ji Pei, et al.(2018) Comparison of Various Turbulence Models Applied to a Twisted Hydrofoil. Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Cavitation (CAV2018). United States. ASME Press, 2018. DOI: 10.1115/1.861851_ch52.