Fatigue design of welded structures
• Development of theoretical and experimental methods for the structural integrity assessment of welded joints in service.
• Static and fatigue testing of welded joints and components.
• Development of dedicated engineering software tools for the structural durability assessment of welded structures.
Development of energy-based methods for fatigue lifetime estimation of mechanical components
• Development of theoretical and experimental methods for the evaluation of the heat generated by materials under fatigue loading, in order to assess the structural integrity of components in service.
• Uni-axial as well as multi-axial characterization of materials in terms of heat-dissipated energy density.
Structural integrity of additively manufactured metals and polymers
• Tensile and fatigue testing on additively manufactured metals and polymers.
• Development of fracture mechanics approaches to deal with the influence of surfaces roughness and defects on the fatigue strength of additively manufactured metals.
• Fatigue-based topology optimisation of components produced by additive manufacturing.
• Characterisation and modelling of lattice structures under static and cyclic loading conditions.
Development of methods for the static and fatigue strength assessment of polymer components
• Development of theoretical and experimental methods for the structural integrity assessment of polymer components in service.
• Materials characterization.